A Traveling historian once said of Whitcombe, 'In all this little place is not an ugly thing.'

It is even more true today. The farmhouse and surrounding cottages, as well as buttressed barn, have all been refurbished to form a neat and peaceful complex on foundations 1,000 years old.

Adjacent, in this hollow, on the Dorchester to Broadmayne road, is the little Norman church peeping through its own coppice of well foliaged trees.

The church, whose dedication has been lost, is redundant but has been lovingly restored in memory of Dorset's dialect poet, William Barnes, who as a curate preached his first sermon here, and in 1885, when rector of nearby Winterborne Came, he was brought to Whitcombe to preach his last. The pulpit is as he left it that morning just before he died in 1886.

The plain but attractive tower is dated 1596 on one of the pierced stones in the bell openings. The north wall of the nave and the tiny doorway are 12th century. The pleasant empty interior has wall paintings surviving so well that one can actually see what they are. On the east is St. Christopher carrying Christ, 15th century, and the other is early 14th century arcading.

The village was much larger in the medieval period than the existing seven or eight 18th century thatched cottages and 19th century farmhouse as the earthwork remnants , which can be seen to the east of the churchyard, bear witness.

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page