A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WORTH-MATRAVERS, a parish in the hundred of ROWBARROW, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (S.S.E.) from Corfe-Castle, containing 325 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 8. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. T. O. Bartlett. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a very ancient structure.

This parish has the English channel on the south, where is the noted cliff called St. Alban's head, one hundred and forty-seven yards in perpendicular height, with a signal-house on its summit; also the remains of a very ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Aldhelms, built and vaulted with stone, and supported by a single massive pillar, with four arches, meeting in a point at the crown: it is entered through a semicircular doorway in the north side, but has no window, only a hole on the south side. Near Quarr, which anciently belonged to the Cullifords, marble was once quarried.

Volume 4, page 576

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page