A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WOOTTON-GLANVILLE, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLAND-NEWTON, Cerne subdivision of the county of DORSET, 7 miles (S.S.E.) from Sherborne, containing, with the tything of Wootton-Newland, 309 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 12, and in the patronage of the Devisees in trust of Humphrey Evans.

The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is principally in the decorated style, with a low embattled tower of later date; in the windows are some fragments of ancient stained glass: it was repaired and new pewed in 1741, and contains an altar tomb with a recumbent figure, also several monuments and inscriptions.

Volume 4, page 558

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page