A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WOOL, a parish in the liberty of BINDON, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Wareham, containing 453 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Coombe-Keynes, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. The church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, stands on the south side of the river Frome.

Near it are the remains of Bindon abbey, founded, in 1172, by Robert de Newburgh and Matilda his wife, in honour of the Virgin Mary, for monks of the Cistercian order, whose revenue at the dissolution was 229. 2. 1. A fair for cattle is held on May 3rd.

Volume 4, page 548

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page