A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WOODSFORD, a parish in the hundred of WINFRITH, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (E.) from Dorchester, containing 159 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 4. 9. 9. Mrs. Sturt was patroness in 1802. The church is a small ancient structure with a low tower.

The parish is bounded on the north by the river Frome, upon which are the remains of an ancient castle, built by Guido de Brient, of a quadrangular form, one side of which has been converted into a farm-house, a very lofty building: the principal entrance was on the west, where there is still an ancient staircase, and in the south-east corner is another, both pierced with narrow apertures for arrows, or small arms. The offices on the basement story are all vaulted with stone; above is an apartment called the Queen's room, and vestiges of a chapel, and around the whole are traces of a moat.

Volume 4, page 546

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page