A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WITCHAMPTON, a parish in that part of the hundred of CRANBORNE which is in the Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Wimborne-Minster, containing 442 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 12. 12. 3., and in the patronage of Mrs. Mary King. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large handsome edifice. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

The rapid river Allen runs through the parish, and on its bank is an extensive paper-mill. Here are the remains of an old monastery, once subordinate to the abbots of Crawford, and now converted into a barn.

Volume 4, page 526

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page