A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WINTERBOURNE-CLENSTONE, a parish in the hundred of COOMBS-DITCH, Blandford (North) division of the county of DORSET, 4¼ miles (S.W.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 73 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £6. 18. 1½., and in the patronage of E. M. Pleydell, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.

Anciently there were three churches, the livings of which were rectories, and the parish was much more populous, as is evident from the foundations of houses still visible within its limits.

A little south of the church, on the side of a hill, commences Coombs-ditch, which gives name to the hundred, and where the courts were formerly held: it is thought by Dr. Stukeley to have been a long rampart and ditch of the first colony of the Belgæ.

Volume 4, page 520

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

©2000 The Dorset Page