A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WINTERBOURNE-CAME, a parish partly in the hundred of CULLIFORD-TREE, Dorchester division, and partly within the liberty of FRAMPTON, Bridport division, of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (S.E. by S.) from Dorchester, containing, with the tything of Cripton, 54 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, to which that of Winterbourne-Farringdon was united, in 1751, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated jointly in the king's books at 15. 5., and in the patronage of Lady C. Damer. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.

Here was anciently a small Benedictine nunnery, supposed to have been a cell to the abbey of Caen in Normandy.

Volume 4, page 520

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page