A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WINTERBOURNE-ABBAS, a parish in the hundred of EGGERTON, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (W.) from Dorchester, containing 170 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, with that of Winterbourne-Steepleton united, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Rector and Fellows of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.

The stream called the South Winterbourne runs through the parish: it rises about a mile west of this place, in the vicinity of an ancient British temple, consisting of nine rude stones of unequal height, placed in a circular form, the diameter of which is twenty-eight feet. Half a mile to the westward are the remains of a cromlech, and there are several other erect stones in the vicinity.

This neighbourhood is supposed to have been the scene of some remarkable action, from the great number of tumuli scattered about in different directions.

Volume 4, page 519

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page