A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WINFRITH-NEWBURGH, a parish in the hundred of WINFRITH, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Wareham, containing 764 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of West Lullworth annexed, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 23. 14. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. Christopher, has a fine Norman doorway and an embattled tower; the nave is covered with lead.

This is a very extensive and ancient parish, giving name to the hundred, and formerly belonged to the family of Newburgh, who had a seat here, of which there are no traces.

Near the hamlet of Bromehill, a rivulet, tributary to the Frome, is crossed by three bridges, erected in 1769, at the joint expense of Edward Weld and James Frampton, Esqrs. A small school is supported by annual subscriptions.

Volume 4, page 515

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page