A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WIMBORNE (ST. GILES), a parish in the hundred of WIMBORNE ST. GILES, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (S.W. by W.) from Cranborne, containing, with Wimborne All Saints, 384 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, with that of Wimborne All Saints united, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 12. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Earl of Shaftesbury. The church was rebuilt in 1732, on the union of the two livings: it stands near the seat of the Earl of Shaftesbury, and is the burial-place of the family; its tower is crowned with balustrades, and at each angle is an urn surmounted by a steel vane.

Here are almshouses for eleven poor people, founded, in 1624, by Sir Anthony Ashley, Bart., and endowed with a large farm at Gussage All Saints.

Volume 4, page 489

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page