A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, a parish in the hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Bridport, containing, with Abbotswooten, Barn, Vale, and Wild quarters, 1317 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Stanton annexed, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 32. 6. 3., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was originally dedicated to St. Whyte, or Candida, and subsequently to the Holy Cross.

This is one of the most ancient and extensive parishes in the county, and gave name to the hundred: it had anciently a market and a fair, granted by Henry III.

Volume 4, page 456

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page