A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

TOLLER-PORCORUM, a parish partly in the hundred of BEAMINSTER-FORUM and REDHONE, Bridport division, but chiefly in the hundred of TOLLERFORD, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 10 miles (W.N.W.) from Dorchester, containing, with the tything of Over and Nether Kingcombe, 499 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 5, and in the patronage of F. J. Browne, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Toller-Porcorum, or Swine's Toller, derived its distinguishing name from the great number of swine formerly bred here. It partakes, with Toller-Fratrum, in the benefit of a school, founded in 1772, by George Brown

Volume 4, page 318

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page