A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

TOLLER-FRATRUM, a parish in the hundred of TOLLERFORD, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 9 miles (N.W. by W.) from Dorchester, containing 37 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Winford-Eagle annexed, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 10. 6., and in the patronage of F. J. Browne, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Basil.

Near the road leading to Maiden-Newton are slight traces of an ancient intrenchment, upon an eminence called White Sheet; and on Farn down a barrow was opened, many years since, which contained seventeen urns, full of firm bones and black ashes.

George Brown, in 1772, left a rent-charge of 21, to be applied in support of a school for the children of this parish and that of Toller-Porcorum. This parish formerly belonged to the brethren of the order of St. John of Jerusalem, whence it derived its distinguishing appellation.

Volume 4, page 318

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page