A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

THORNTON, a tything in the parish of MARNHULL, hundred of REDLANE, Sherborne division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (N.N.E.) from Sturminster-Newton-Castle.

It is now almost depopulated, though formerly a distinct parish, and was united to Marnhull at the Reformation, when the church, dedicated in 1464 to St. Martin, was desecrated, and is still used as a stable.

Volume 4, page 295

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page