|SYMONDSBURY, a parish in the
hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of the county of
DORSET, 1½ mile (W.N.W.) from Bridport,
containing 1076 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £36. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. G. Raymond. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a large cruciform structure, partly in the early, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, with a tower rising from the intersection.
The small river Simene has its source in this parish, and falls into the Brit at Bridport. There are several springs in the neighbourhood, slightly impregnated with iron.
Volume 4, page 261