A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

SYDLING (ST. NICHOLAS), a parish and liberty in the Cerne subdivision of the county of DORSET, 8 miles (N.W. by N.) from Dorchester, containing 563 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 1. 0., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. The church is a neat structure, with a high embattled tower; the chancel has been elegantly rebuilt by the late Sir William Smith, who also constructed a large family vault within it, where his remains were deposited in 1752. There is a place of worship for Independents. Near the ancient mansion-house of the Hardys, at Up-Sydling, there was, before the Reformation, a chapel of ease, but there are no vestiges of it.

Volume 4, page 261

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page