A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

STUDLAND, a parish in the hundred of ROWBARROW, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Corfe-Castle, containing 382 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 7. 10. 5., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Edmond Morton Pleydell, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is supposed to have been built about the time of the Conquest.

The parish, which includes Brownsea and several smaller islands, is bounded on the north by Poole harbour, on the east by Studland bay, and by Swanage bay on the south-east, where there is a signal station, on a hill called Ballard down. The bay, though an open roadstead, affords excellent anchorage for ships drawing fourteen or fifteen feet of water.

Brownsea island is of an oval form, about three miles in circumference, and contained anciently a hermitage and chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, of which there are now no remains. The castle, at its eastern extremity, was built in the reign of Elizabeth, by the inhabitants of Poole, for the defence of that port: adjoining it is a platform, upon which, in time of war, a few pieces of ordnance are mounted. There is also a quay, where vessels of considerable burden can lie conveniently for taking in, or discharging, their cargoes.

On Studland common there are many ancient barrows, which must be either British or Danish, the principal of them is ninety feet in perpendicular height, and is called Agglestone, or Stone Barrow, from its being surmounted by an enormous circular red sand-stone, eighteen feet high, and computed to weigh four hundred tons.

Volume 4, page 219

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page