A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

STRATTON, a parish in the hundred of GEORGE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (N.W.) from Dorchester, containing, with the tything of Grimstone, 262 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Charminster, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 200 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of J. Trenchard, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a lofty tower, but no chancel, the latter having been pulled down in 1547. A Roman road from Dorchester to Ilchester passes through the parish.

Volume 4, page 211

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page