A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

STOURPAIN, a parish in the hundred of PIMPERNE, Blandford (North) division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (N.W. by N.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 499 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 7. 18. 6., and endowed with 200 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The river Stour is navigable on the west and south of this parish. Lacerton, formerly a distinct parish, was united, in 1431, to Stourpain, to which it is now only a hamlet. In a field, called Chapel Close, adjoining a farm-house, the foundations of its ancient church, which was dedicated to St. Andrew in 1331, may be still traced.

On an eminence, called Hod-hill, are the remains of a Danish camp, in the form of the letter D, with a double rampart and fosse, which, on the north and south sides, are almost inaccessible: there are five entrances, and, within the area, which comprises several acres, are many circular trenches, four and five yards in diameter, and some round pits, contiguous to each other, supposed to have been so deep and numerous, at one period, as to be capable of concealing a large army.

Volume 4, page 201

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page