A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

SHAPWICK, a parish in the hundred of BADBURY, SHASTON (East) division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (S.E.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 409 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 7. 9. 4., and in the patronage of Lord Rivers. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The navigable river Stour bounds the parish on the south. James Alexander, Esq., in 1818, gave a moiety of the dividends arising from 300 three per cents. for the education of poor children. Here was a small Carthusian priory, a cell to that of Sheen in Surrey.

Volume 4, page 42

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page