A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

PRESTON, a parish in the liberty of SUTTON-POINTZ, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (N.E. by N.) from Melcombe-Regis, containing, with the tything of Sutton-Pointz, 508 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Preston in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 8. 18. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is very ancient, and had formerly ten pensionary chapels belonging to it. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

Volume 3, page 566

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page