A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

PORTISHAM, a parish in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 7 miles (S.W. by W.) from Dorchester, containing 600 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 8. 14. 2., endowed with 1000 parliamentary grant. Joseph Hardy, Esq. was patron in 1814. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a large ancient structure, having a lofty embattled tower crowned with pinnacles. Charles Masterman, in 1771, left 100 for teaching poor children.

In this parish is the largest cromlech in the county; it consists of a flat stone, ten feet by six, resting horizontally on nine upright ones, and stands on a tumulus, having on the north-west an avenue leading to it: there is a small barrow to the eastward of this ancient monument.

Volume 3, page 557

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page