A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

POORSTOCK, a parish partly in the hundred of EGGERTON, but chiefly in the liberty of POORSTOCK, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (N.E. by E.) from Bridport, containing, with the tythings of West Milton, Nettlecombe, and South Poorton, 1010 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorest, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 16. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. In the 7th of Edward III., a market on Thursdays, and a fair on the eve, day, and morrow, of St. Philip and James, and two days afterwards, were granted to John Wroxhale, to be held here.

 At Mappercombe are the remains of an ancient chapel.

Volume 3, page 554

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page