A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

PIMPERNE, a parish in the hundred of PIMPERNE. Blandford (North) division of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (N.E.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 426 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdcaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 19. 2. 6., and in the patronage of E. B. Portman, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has several Norman portions, particularly an enriched doorway and an arch between the nave and chancel; the font is very ancient, and in the churchyard are several coffin-shaped stones, each having a cross carved on it.

There is a trifling endowment for teaching six poor children. In this parish are some irregular earth-works, anciently forming a maze, which covered about an acre of ground, but, in 1730, it was almost obliterated by the plough.

Volume 3, page 536

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page