A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

PIDDLETOWN, a parish in the hundred of PIDDLETOWN, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Dorchester, containing 961 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage, in the archdeacory of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 31. 2. 11. The Rev. G. H. Templer was patron in 1822. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large structure with an embattled tower, partly in the decorated, and partly in the later English, style: the font is curiously carved with trellice-work and foliage.

This extensive parish is bounded on the north by the river Piddle, and had formerly a market, long since disused, and two fairs, which are still held on April 8th and October 29th, for horses, bullocks, hogs, and sheep.

Volume 3, page 532

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page