A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

OKEFORD-FITZPAINE, a parish in the hundred of STURMINSTER-NEWTON-CASTLE, Sturminster division of the county of DORSET, 7 miles (N.W. by W.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 499 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 21. 12. 8., and in the patronage of Lord Rivers. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The navigable river Stour runs through the parish.

Okeford was anciently possessed by the family of Nichole, one of whom obtained the privilege of a market to be held here; from them it came to the Fitz-Paynes, and, by a corruption of that name, is vulgarly called Fipenny-Okeford. Several British silver coins were found here in 1753. In the neighbourhood is Banbury Hill, a circular camp with a single trench.

Volume 3, page 448

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page