A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

NETHERBURY, a parish in the hundred of BEAMINSTER-FORUM and REDHONE, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (S.S.W.) from Beaminster, comprising the tythings of Aish, Bowood, Melplash, and Netherbury, and containing 1954 inhabitants.

The living is a vicarage with Beaminster, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Netherbury in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 41.15. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the later style of English architecture.

There was formerly a chapel of ease at Mangerton, in this parish, which has long been desecrated and in ruins. A great quantity of cider is made in the parish. There is an endowment for a free grammar school, left by an unknown benefactor.

Volume 3, page 345

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page