A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MONCKTON (TARRANT), a parish in the hundred of MONCKTON up WIMBORNE, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 236 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Tarrant-Launceston, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 17. 16. 8., endowed with 200 private benefaction, 200 royal bounty, and 300 parliamentary grant. J. Farquharson, Esq. was patron in 1822. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The river Tarrant runs through the parish, in which there was formerly a monastic establishment, whence the derivation of the name Monckton.

Volume 3, page 315

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page