A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MILBOURNE (ST. ANDREW), a parish in the liberty of DEWLISH, Blandford (North) division, though locally in the Dorchester division, of the county of DORSET, 8 miles (S.W.) from Blandford-Forum, containing, with Milbourne-Churchstone, 244 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Dewlish, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 6. 8. T. Gundry, Esq. was patron in 1800. In this parish is an oblong double-intrenched camp, the area of which is about seven acres. Cardinal Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Henry VII., was born here.

Volume 3, page 299

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page