A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MELBURY-OSMOND, a parish in the hundred of YETMINSTER, Sherborne division of the county of DORSET, 8 miles (S.W.) from Sherborne, containing 319 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged rectory, with which that of Melbury-Sampford was united in 1750, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 8. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Earl of Ilchester. The church is dedicated to St. Osmond. A school for the instruction of poor children has an income of 15 per annum, the bequest of Mrs. Susannah Strangeways Horner, in 1754.

Volume 3, page 276

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page