A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MARSHWOOD, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (W.S.W.) from Beaminster, containing 532 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, with the vicarage of Whitchurch-Canonicorum, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. This place, which takes its name from the marshy, woody vale in which it is situated, was anciently an honour, the only one in the county, and the head of a barony.

Volume 3, page 261

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page