A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MAPPERTON, a parish in the hundred of BEAMINSTER-FORUM and REDHONE, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (S.E. by E.) from Beaminster, containing 123 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 8. 3. 1. H. C. Compton, Esq. was patron in 1822. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was, in 1291, styled a chapel to Netherbury: it was rebuilt, in 1704, by Richard Broadrep, Esq., and the interior handsomely fitted up: in the chancel is a fine monument of the Broadreps, and underneath it the family vault. There is a small churchyard, but the substratum being rock, the inhabitants bury at Netherbury, for which privilege they annually pay a trifling acknowledgment.

Volume 3, page 250

MAPPERTON, a hamlet in the parish of ALMER, hundred of LOOSEBARROW, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Blandford-Forum. The population is returned with the parish.

Volume 3, page 250

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page