A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

MAIDEN-NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of TOLLERFORD, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 8 miles (N.W.) from Dorchester, containing 520 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 30. 5., and in the patronage of Lord Ilchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a large embattled tower rising from the intersection. Near it is the rectory-house, a spacious antique building, the windows exhibiting the arms of Wadham, Wyndham, &c., in stained glass. The privilege of holding a market was granted in the 5th of Henry III., and subsequently a fair for cattle on November 22d; the former has been long disused. George Browne, in 1774, bequeathed a rent-charge of 21 for teaching ten poor children.

Volume 3, page 202

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page