A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LYTCHETT-MINSTER, a chapelry in the parish of STURMINSTER-MARSHALL, hundred of COGDEAN, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (N.E. by N.) from Wareham, containing 544 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, with the vicarage of Sturminster-Marshall, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Sturminster-Marshall. The chapel is demolished. This chapelry is bounded on the south-east by Poole harbour, and on the south by Rock Lee river, which latter is crossed by a bridge, and falls into Lytchett bay. On the south side of the village is a very large tumulus: here was formerly a beacon.

Volume 3, page 195

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page