A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LULLWORTH (WEST), a parish in the liberty of BINDON, though locally in the hundred of Winfrith, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 8 miles (S.W.) from Wareham, containing 365 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Winfred-Newburgh, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. The chapel is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

Lullworth Cove is a great natural curiosity, into which the sea flows through a wide gap in the cliff, of sufficient depth for vessels of eighty tons' burden. The surrounding rocks, rising to an immense height, are singularly undermined and perforated by the constant lashing of the waves, which keep up a continual and terrific roar. The “Arched Rock,” about a mile from the Cove, has an opening of about twenty feet high, through which the sea presents a peculiarly grand appearance. Among these rocks, which seem to exhibit some awful convulsion of nature, the razor-bill and puffin lay their eggs, the collecting of which forms part of the support of the country people, who trust themselves at the end of a rope, at the hazard of instant destruction.

Volume 3, page 182

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

©2000 The Dorset Page