A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LULLWORTH (EAST), a parish in the hundred of WINFRITH, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (S.W.) from Wareham, containing 353 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 11. 14. 7., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty. The King presented by lapse in 1787. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some ancient memorials of the family of Newburgh, descendants of the Earls of Warwick of the Norman line, who, in the reign of Edward I., succeeded the De Lolleworths, possessors of the place from an early period: it afterwards came to the Howards, Earls of Suffolk, one of whom, in 1588, on the site of an ancient castle, laid the foundation of the present noble castle of Lullworth, which was completed in 1641, and then purchased by the family of Weld: it is a massive structure, forming an exact cube of eighty feet, with a circular embattled tower rising sixteen feet above the battlements of the walls, and the east front decorated with the arms of Weld, several fine statues, and two inscriptions commemorating the visits of George III. and his Royal consort in 1789.

Near the castle is a circular Roman Catholic chapel, of elegant architecture, erected several years since by Thomas Weld, Esq., and fitted up with much taste and magnificence. This stately edifice was appropriated as the temporary residence of Charles X., his family, and suite, on the expulsion of that monarch from the throne of France, and prior to his seeking an abode in some of the continental states. Dr. Weld, the present proprietor, has been lately raised to the dignity of cardinal in the church of Rome. He liberally received many exiles at the period of the first French revolution, who formed a religious fraternity on his estate here, of the order of La Trappe, which returned to the continent at the general peace. Within the parish are many vestiges of antiquity, principally barrows found to contain human and other skeletons, rude urns, trinkets, &c., supposed to be British, from the coarseness of the urns and the absence of all Roman relics: on one of these, a lofty hill termed Flower's Barrow, is a triple intrenchment, called the British Camp, enclosing an area of about five acres, to which there are two entrances, one on the south-east, the other on the south-west.

Volume 3, page 182

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page