A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LOTHERS, a parish in the liberty of LOTHERS and BOTHENHAMPTON, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Bridport, containing 857 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 14. 5. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Here was an Alien priory subordinate to the abbey of Mountsburgh in Normandy: at the suppression by Richard II., being then valued at 80 per annum, it was bestowed on the priory of St.Anne, near Coventry; but, in the time of Henry IV., it was restored to its ancient owners, and after the dissolution by Henry V., it became part of the endowment of Sion abbey, Middlesex.

Volume 3, page 168

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page