A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LITTON-CHENEY, a parish in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Bridport, containing 424 inhabaitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 33. 7. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. James COX, D. D. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the later style of English architecture, and has a fine tower with battlements and pinnacles. In 1690, Robert Thormer bequeathed 25 per annum for the maintenance of a free school, and part of 75 per annum for apprenticing poor children of the parish of Litton, the towns of Dorchester and Southampton, and the city of Salisbury. In 1771, Thomas Hollis added 5 per annum for a schoolmaster's residence.

Volume 3, page 98

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page