A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

LANGTON (HERRING), a parish in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division or the county of DORSET, 8 miles (S.W.) from Dorchester, containing 152 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 7. 2. 11., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the alternate patronage of the King, as Duke of Cornwall, and William Sparks, Esq. This parish suffered much from an inundation of the sea in November 1824. It is bounded on the south-west by West Fleet, which separates it from that remarkable tongue of land termed the Chesil Bank. Beds of shells abound here to a considerable depth, so that in many parts there is no soil.

Volume 3, page 30

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page