A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

KINGSTON-RUSSELL, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 1 mile (E. by N.) from Dorchester, containing 79 inhabitants. Here was formerly a free chapel, dedicated to St. James, of which a part of the walls only is now remaining. Since its demolition the inhabitants have been permitted, on payment of 4 per annum to the rector of Long Bredy, to bury in the church-yard there. In ancient records this place is stated to have been in the parish of Whitchurch-Canonicorum: it had formerly a weekly market, and a fair annually on the eve, day, and morrow of St. Matthew.

Volume 2, page 519

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page