|KIMMERIDGE, a parish in the hundred
of HASILOR, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 4¼
miles (S.W. by W.) from Corfe-Castle,
containing 90 inhabitants.
The living is a donative, in the
patronage of the Clavell family. The parish is bounded on the south by
Botteridge pool, or Kimmeridge bay, the entrance to which, between two
high cliffs, is defended by a battery of two pieces of cannon. Here was
formerly a pier, one hundred feet long, sixty broad, and fifty high,
constructed, by Sir William Clavell, for the convenience
of vessels which resorted to his alum, salt, and glass works, in the
vicinity. It was, however, demolished by a great storm in 1745, and in
1748 the ruins of buildings and heaps of ashes were all that remained.
On the shore are copperas stones in abundance; and in the cliffs of this
and the neighbouring parishes is found a sort of coal, of a bituminous
nature, which burns with a strong light, and emits a sulphureous smell;
it is naturally a hard substance, but, on exposure to the air, splits
into pieces like slate, and is sold to the poor at a moderate price.
Volume 2, page 508