A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

IWERNE-MINSTER, a parish in that part of the hundred of SIXPENNY-HANDLEY which is in the Shaston (West) division of the county of DORSET, 7 miles (S.) from Shaftesbury, containing 622 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 10. 1. 0., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a large and handsome structure, partly in the Norman, and partly in the early English, style, having a tower and spire one hundred and sixty-two feet high. The small river Ewern has its source here, from which, and the church, the parish derives its name.

Volume 2, page 471

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page