A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

IWERNE-COURTNAY, otherwise SHROTON, a parish in the hundred of REDLANE, Sturminster division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Blandford-Forum, containing, with the chapelry of Farringdon, 512 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 25. 8. 1. Lord Rivers was patron in 1810. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower surmounted by battlements and pinnacles. Lady Elizabeth Freke, in 1640, founded a free school here, and endowed it with a rent-charge of 20. The river Ewern runs through the parish, and gives name to it, the adjunct being derived from the Courtneys, its ancient proprietors.

Volume 2, page 471

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page