|HORTON, a parish in the hundred of
BADBURY, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (S.S.W.)
from Cranborne, containing 420 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged vicarage, with the curacy of Knowlton, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £7. 13. 10. The Earl of Shaftesbury was patron in 1816. The church is dedicated to St. Wolfrida. An abbey, founded here in 970, by Ordgar, Earl of Devonshire, became a cell to Sherborne Abbey in 1122.
At Knowlton, formerly a hamlet in this parish, now depopulated, but still giving name to a hundred, are the remains of a chapel, which, with the cemetery, are surrounded by a deep circular intrenchment, comprising one acre of ground within its area, and containing several tumuli; in the vicinity are several other works of this kind. A fair formerly held at Knowlton was removed to the adjoining parish of Woodlands, about the year 1730, where it takes place on the 5th of July, for horses, cheese, and toys.
Volume 2, page 421