|HINTON (ST. MARY), a parish in the
hundred of STURMINSTER-NEWTON-CASTLE, Sturminster division of the county
of DORSET, 8 miles (S. W. by W.) from Shaftesbury,
containing 297 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy with the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Mary Freke, in 1684, gave £6 per annum for teaching poor children.
Volume 2, page 396