A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

HAWKCHURCH, a parish comprising the tything of Wyldecourt, in the hundred of CERNE, TOTCOMBE, and MODBURY, Cerne sub-division, and the tything of Phillyholme, in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division, of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Axminster, containing 856 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 23. 2. 11., and in the patronage of Newnham, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, exhibits portions in the Norman style of architecture, with insertions in the early and later English styles, and various modern alterations. This parish is bounded on the north-west by the river Ax: on Lambert's Castle hill are some remains of an ancient fortification.

Volume 2, page 343

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page