A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

HANDLEY, a parish in that part of the hundred of SIXPENNY-HANDLEY which is in the Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (N.W. by W.) from Cranborne, containing, with the chapelry of Gussage-St. Andrew, and the tythings of Minchinton and Woodcots, 831 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A market was granted for this place at an early period, and the market-day was changed in the reign of Henry III. but it has been disused from time immemorial.

Volume 2, page 311

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page