A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

HAMWORTHY, a chapelry in the parish of STURMINSTER-MARSHALL, hundred of COGDEAN, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 1 mile (W.) from Poole, containing 313 inhabitants. It is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Sturminster-Marshall.

The chapel, which was destroyed during the parliamentary war, has been recently rebuilt, and contains four hundred and fifty free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 550 towards defraying the expense. The chapelry is divided into Higher and Lower Ham, the latter of which is the more considerable; it adjoins Poole harbour, which affords great facility for carrying on trade.

Volume 2, page 310

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page