A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

HAMPRESTON, a parish comprising the harnlet of Long Ham, within the liberty of WESTOVEE, New Forest (West) division of the county of SOUTHAMPTON, but chiefly in that part of the hundred of CRANBORNE which is in the Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (B.S.E.) from Wimborne-Minster, and containing 892 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 10. C. and H. Warland, Esqrs. were patrons in 1806. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is partly in the early, and partly in the decorated, style of English architecture, and has lately received an addition of one hundred and ten free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 20 towards defraying the expense. Hampreston was formerly a chapelry within the parish of Wimborne-Minster, but was separated from it about 1440, when license was granted to bury here. The navigable river Stour runs along the southern houndary.

Volume 2, page 305

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page